Economists, tax experts, and legislators engaged in a spirited debate about what it will take to spur growth in New Jersey at GSI's Economic Policy Forum on May 2. The event focused on original research done for GSI by tax analysts at EY. Read the report here.
- ARTHUR B. LAFFER, known to many as the "Father of Supply-Side Economics" for triggering the world-wide tax-cutting movement in the 1980s with the Laffer Curve. He was a member of President Reagan's Economic Policy Advisory Board and was an adviser to UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. He is the founder and chairman of Laffer Associates and Laffer Investments. He received a Ph.D. in economics from Stanford University.
- JAMES W. WETZLER, a former Director at Deloitte Tax LLP in New York City. He served as the Chief Economist to the Joint Committee on Taxation in Washington D.C., and has been New York’s Commissioner of Taxation and Finance. He received his Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University.
- JAMES FREEMAN, assistant editor of The Wall Street Journal editorial page. He is the author of the humorous news column “Best of the Web” for WSJ.com. He is a frequent panelist on the weekly round-table show Journal Editorial Report on the Fox News Channel.
- TOM BYRNE, the managing director and head of equity portfolio management at Byrne Asset Management. He is chairman of the New Jersey State Investment Council, which oversees the investment of public pension fund assets. He served as a member of the Pension and Health Benefit Study Commission.
- STATE SENATOR STEVE OROHO, currently in his third term representing the 24th Legislative District in the northwestern corner of New Jersey. He sits on three Senate committees: Economic Growth; Budget and Appropriations; and State Government, Wagering, Tourism and Historic Preservation.
- ASSEMBLYMAN LOUIS GREENWALD, the Assembly Majority Leader. He has represented the 6th Legislative District in Burlington and Camden counties since 1996. He was formerly chairman of the Budget Committee.
- DANIEL J. GELTRUDE, CPA, the founder of Nutley-based Geltrude, an accounting and financial advisory firm. In 2010 he was appointed by Gov. Christie to the State Board of Accountancy, where he continues to serve. In addition to his experience in the banking and real estate fields, he teaches accounting courses at Montclair State University.
- DEBORAH KOSTROUN, a former Wall Street reporter for Bloomberg Television, will moderate the forum. She is the managing director of public relations firm Zito Partners.